Friday, September 10, 2010

Spain, the intro!

Hello all,
Am terribly sorry not to have written in so long. I used up all of my internet minutes on the boat, but plan to set something up to be able to post here by emailing my blog.
Spain was... too much to put into words, really. On the first day, my friends Corey, Kelly and I exited the ship to find my friend David Jones, who came to meet us and traveled from London. Shortly after we found him, we did some wandering in Cadiz and bought train tickets, which was quite difficult with the language barrier. They got very fed up with us at the station. We then went to the cathedral for a tour, and our respective homes to change for the beach. The rest of the day was spent lazily baking in the Spanish sun, frolicking through light waves and looking out over the city while sharing stories and enjoying each others company. The Spanish lifestyle is to have tapas and a beer every few hours, so we indulged in this for sure. Spanish food is incredibly bland as it is all grilled in olive oil and no flavors or spices are usually added. David and I showered after Corey and Kelly left for their organized ship Flamenco excursion, and went off to find some dinner. Shortly thereafter, we enjoyed a flamenco show of our own. It was so amazing and passionate, and extremely expressive. Everywhere, they served olives when we sat as they serve bread in the states. After sharing some sangrias and a bottle of wine, a  crooked walk back to the ship as in order until the following morning when I met back up with my friends to continue traveling. Overall, Cadiz is an amazing city. It is incredibly mediterranean, and I kept thinking how much my dad would hate it if I lived there because he would think it was dirty. There is dog poop all along the streets, and every street is what we would consider an alleyway. The mediterranean lifestyle is casual and lazy, and I loved it. It was beautiful to catch a glimpse of a lifestyle through an open window as you walked through the streets, catching the eye of the habitant of a place and having a mutual understanding for a love for life.
I must got, as Kamrin is calling role for our camel trek in the Sahara, but I will write more about Spain in a few days (sevilla and madrid) and try to keep in touch. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment